26.11.08

DINZ

I now know that one pronounces DINZ Dins. I also know more about Kris Sowersby’s (of Klim fame) Cerano typeface than I ever expected, and loved every minute of it.

In a nutshell it is oh-so-loosly inspired by Neo, Sauna and FS Albert (as initiated by DNA), but is a million miles away in its finished form. His talk was titled “I don’t like it, it looks like toothpaste”* and while there is some room for criticism of BNZ’s rebrand especially with regard to the current state of the world’s economy I think that if my toothpaste came out as well formed as that, my dentist would be out of a job. (As an aside, my personal take on the rebrand is: If you are rebranding, then get on and do it. It seems so half finished: ATM machines with the new lower case bnz, under the building with the old shield… all getting a bit confusing)
Gary Stewart from Ocean (the agency with the most down to earth website in town) gave a bit of a show and tell of their work over the years for NZ Film Festival (one version of which felt very similar to something I did for Fabric in the UK a couple of years ago. Visually that is. But Fabric never moved forward with it, and Gary’s poster collection rocks.
A few weeks ago I saw a poster in a gallery in Dunedin. I think I also saw some paintings, but it is the poster I remember mostly. This poster was by Experimenta and is now sitting in my flat thanks to Duncan who presented a brief retrospective of their work. Hints of Experimental Jetset, Build, Hort (in a way I can’t put my finger on), TDR and NonFormat (all favorites of mine) but in a good way. I’d be really interested in seeing a totally analogue piece by them as their craftsman approach really shows through but could be seen as a bit cold for many audiences. There’s a challenge for you Duncan.

*As an aside if you are interested in a typeface that really does look like toothpaste you can find one by Autobahn here.

No comments: