11.9.09

10.6 glitches and fixes

It is been a couple of weeks with 10.6 and at I feel that my initial apprehension of upgrading blindly was largely unfounded. That said I did clone my HD before (as I do weekly anyway) and ran TimeMachine (as I do regularly). Justin Case. and here’s what I found.
1/ Freehand MX bombed. Completely. Bounced on the dock a couple of times then nothing. Nada. Zip. Now don’t get me wrong, I love my Adobe stuff, but sometimes FH is better. Much better. It is like my sketch pad before Illustrator, and a future without it was looking pretty bleak. Luckily after an hour or two hunting I found that the problem was because I only has a single user license and as we speak this is a big problem. The solution:
You reboot from a version of 10.5 you have as a backup. (I love you SuperDuper!) (System Preferences>Startup Disc) then open FH. Open FHMX, Help>Transfer Licence>Quit. Open FHMX again and enter a volume license. Let’s be clear; I paid good money for my software and expect it to work when I am. It’s just that the single user license isn’t supported and I have bills to pay and brief to meet. I am not supporting cracked apps at all but if you are in the same situation as me you will need a volume license like this WPD700-59309-14394-64786 to get back on your feet while Adobe sorts things out. Quit FH again and Reboot with your 10.6 Startup Disc. FH is back.
2/ Bold fonts in Firefox having upgraded to 10.6. While not a big problem it was annoying. And the fix for me was quite simple. I figured it was a Firefox issue, but as it happens all I needed to do was purge my font caches. I run Suitcase Fusion 2, so I quit the Core (System Preferences>Fusion Core>Stop). Opened Font Doctor X>Tools>Clear font Caches and restart.
Business as usual.

1 comment:

Smoothfluid said...

By the way, OnOne plugins are pretty screwed on 10.6 unless you deactivate them first. Which I didn’t, but their customer service seem to be on the ball and have given me a new activation code.