11.3.08

1. From Russia with Love

I am sure much has already been written by better writers than myself about the From Russia exhibition at the Royal Academy, so I am just going to highlight my favorite bits:
New to me was the work of Sergei Sudeikin, or more particularly the funkiest clouds on show his Giselle (1915). Unfortunately I can't find a thumbnail on the web, so you'll just have to cough-up the £13 yourself, or take my word for it. |•| On the subject of funky, that camel in Date Palm (Martiros Saryan, 1911) it up there. And could be a pre-Dakar Rally example of sponsored desert transport. |•| Marc Chagall's The Promenade (1917–18) was lovely, and it was fun to watch the school group, sprawled across the floor trying to capture the image, but as I recall everyone was drawing the couple, no one drew the leaves which were the best bit in my eyes. |•| The award for Most Incredible Painting I have seen in years has to go to Pavel Filonov's German War (1914–15). You can see it here, but it doesn't even look like the same thing in a digital coat.
There were more but like I said, go look for yourself. It's worth it.

No comments: