12.3.04

A wedding

So, I guess you'd like to hear what I have been doing these last few weeks. Well, Heyrick and Anna go married in Martinborough, in the rain, but as there were a bus load of Brits over, escaping the winter, it wasn't that unexpected really. I hope you are having/had a fantastic time in SA.
I got the chance to explore part of NZ that I hadn't been to, which is always a treat. The south east corner is certainly unlike any other part. They say Chch is the English city, but I'd suggest that there were parts of the Wairapa that were more so: oak trees, hedges, soft rolling hills. Cape Palliser was very peculiar with diggers lined on the shingle beach quietly waiting to welcome the boats home; the stubby lighthouse looking so like a stick of rock that if we could go inside I would've expected to see "CAPE PALLISER" in red letters; the Pinnicles (although I think the recent storms re-shaped them because where we stopped looked nothing like a photograph I say last night in a guide book...)
I took the Whanau to Lochmara Sounds to stay in Lochmara Lodge; one of my favorite places: chickens, hammocks, glow worms... and also the arthurs Pass and Castle Hill. Anyone who has been through Cave Stream would be impressed to hear that despite a few marginal moments Mum braved the cool (although I am sure she will tell you it was freezing!) waters and went on in.

...Holidays are always too short, and the weather always seems better on the other side of them too... but I guess that is just how it is.

No comments: